Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's the latest?

I've been slow to update my blog this past week so I apologize.

I saw the general surgeon on Friday, Dr. Sorkhi. He feels confident that he got all of the cancer (YEAH!) but it had spread to the lymph nodes so they had to be removed as well. The lymph nodes on the left side were biopsied but they didn't show any signs of cancer. The breast tissue that was biopsied on the left side also came back benign but I had already decided to do a bi-lateral mastectomy. I feel more confidant than before that it was the right decision. I didn't want to go through all of this only to have more abnormal tissue show up on the left side six months from now.

I have some lymphodemia in my right arm causing it to swell somewhat. The surgeon sent me to physical therapy yesterday to start working on what needs to be done to keep the swelling down. The lymph nodes are designed to forces waste from your body tissue out of the body. When the lymph nodes are missing the fluid stays in that area and causes swelling. Therefore, I am learning new exercises to help get the fluid out of my arm to prevent swelling.

Tomorrow I see the oncologist. I'm anxious to find out what the regimen will be for chemotherapy. When I talked to him before surgery he thought it would probably be 4-6 weeks of chemo but only one day per week. I hope that is still the case.

I also see the plastic surgeon tomorrow. With any luck I'll be able to get the last two drainage tubes taken out. They pull a lot and make it uncomfortable to sleep.

Thursday I have more physical therapy. I'm looking forward to it because the therapist massages my arm and make it feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment