Sunday, April 17, 2011

Recuperating at home.

I came home from the hospital on Thursday the 14th. The doctor wanted me to be able to go home on Wednesday! It was more of an insurance thing. The insurance company has a list of standard hospital stays following certain surgeries. Once again, the insurance comapny is trying to do the doctor's job instead of looking at each case separately.

The doctor wanted me to get up and start walking. I tried to do it on Wednesday but when I stood up I was dizzy and start to feel sick to my stomach. We decided that wasn't going to work just yet. I laid down in bed again and put the oxygen back on while the nurse gave me something for the nausea. The doctor said I reacted that way because I was dehydrated. He ordered more fluid in the IVs and told me to drink a lot more water. I felt much better that evening and was able to talk quite a ways down the hall. By Thursday morning I was realy to go home. The doctor finally came in around 4:30 on Thursday afternoon and discharged me.

Courtney spent the day with me at the hospital waiting for me to be released. She brought a bunch of pillows with her so I could be more comfortable on the ride home. He has paid special attention to the bumps in the road and where there were any holes. I think it took about 10 minutes to get me "packed" into the car. I had pillows behind me, on either side and in front of me to protect me from the seat belt. As we were driving home on the freeway, cars were going around us. I then realized that we were "those people" who do 45 in a 65. It was pretty funny.

It felt really good to be home and in my bed. That night I slept from 8:30 p.m. until 1:15 a.m. without waking up. I normally have a pain pill every 4 hours. It certainly makes a difference being in your own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment