Saturday, April 9, 2011

Countdown to Surgery

The ultrasound didn't show any breast lesions so I had to have an MRI-guided biopsy. The results of the ultrasound took 5 days to get to the surgeon's office so by the time they got the results the next available appointment for the MRI was AFTER my surgery date. Miraculously, Dr. Sorkhi called the MRI center and suddenly I had an appointment the next day!

The MRI-guided biopsy was very tedious and took an hour.  The final step in the process is to put a marker in the breast tissue to identify the location of the suspicious area. After the biopsy was finished I had to get another mammogram of the left breast. Once again it was done at a different location!

I had to have someone drive me to and from the biopsy appointment. My normal driver, Sarah, was unavailable that day so I called on the next person on my list, Sarah's mom Maria! She lives a few minutes from me and had volunteered her services if I needed anything. I really do have a list of people who have offered to help out. If you are reading this blog you are probably on the list so beware - I could call on YOU next!

As of today, I'm still waiting for the results of the biopsy although I don't think it's going to change my mind about doing a bi-lateral mastectomy. It's maybe a radical approach but I don't want to have to ever go through any of this again!

I received a phone call from the surgeon's office yesterday afternoon. They have a list of pre-op requirements from the hospital for anyone scheduled for surgery. One of the things on the list was that all women under the age of 62 are required to have a PREGNANCY TEST!!! Wow - really? I didn't know where to start in telling her how impossible it would be for me to be pregnant. Seriously, think about that - how did they come up with the age of 62? Was the logic that a 62-year-old could be pregnant but NOT a 63-year-old? Anyway, I have dodged the pregnancy test requirement.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment