Monday, March 21, 2011

Meeting The Oncologist

This morning I had the MRI done. If you have never had an MRI done before it's a noisy test. You lay on a table that is moved into a circular tube-type device much like the procedure for a CAT Scan. There is a lot of general noise when the MRI starts with varying noises as the test continues. It takes about 30-45 minutes to complete the test.
In my particular case, without being too graphic, I laid face down on the table. Because this was a "breast MRI" there were special "openings" on the table to accommodate my anatomy (if you get my drift). I was actually very comfortable laying there and it was first thing in the morning so I fell asleep during the test! Suddenly the machine started making a different noise that startled me! I jumped a little but not enough to mess up the test thankfully.
This afternoon I met with the oncologist, Dr. Eisenberg. He is a very personable guy and explained all of the doctor-terms on my lab results from the biopsy.
As he read through the reports he kept giving me a thumbs up! Once again, I feel that the type of cancer I have combined with catching it early gives me a very good long-term prognosis. Nothing at this time indicates that I will need radiation therapy. (Yeah!) When they do the mastectomy they will check the lymph nodes and do a sentinel-node biopsy (you'll have to look that up on the internet). If that biopsy shows cancer or if more cancer cells show up during the surgery then I may need chemotherapy. The chemo would be done one day per week over 4-6 weeks. If everything during the surgery indicates no further cancer cells then I will probably have to do five years of hormone therapy. This therapy would amount to taking an estrogen-blocking pill once a day everyday for 5 years. My type of cancer is hormone sensitive so if the estrogen production in my body is suppressed it won't be able to "feed" any remaining cancer cells. The human body is an amazing thing!
Tomorrow is more blood work for Dr. Eisenberg and a bone scan. The bone scan is more precautionary than anything else. If I should have to need radiation therapy, they want to make sure my bones are strong. I think I have great bones - I'm a Jacobson - we come from good stock!
So far, it looks like the surgery will be April 4 or 5. I need to make some calls tomorrow to see if a date has been confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment