Monday, March 21, 2011

Did I tell you about the great place I work??

On March 8th I celebrated 10 years with Peregrine Semiconductor. It is hard to belive. I've never stayed at any company that long. Peregrine is a little different. We now have about 250 employees yet many times it feels like a big family!
I work with two breast cancer survivors. They have been very supportive and provided me with lots of advice, recommendations, and deciphered some of the doctor-speak.
Last week, after discussing my diagnosis with two, shall we say "higher-level" co-workers, they immediately offered up their airline travel miles so that Courtney could be here with me during my upcoming surgeries. I would have never thought of that but immediately they were concerned about the financial impact to me. (I am tearing up again just thinking about it.)
My boss, the guy who watches the company money, has refused to talk to me about a company self-funded disability plan. I was trying to tell him that I didn't want the company doing anything special for me. He explained that as a company, we needed to put together a formal disability program and this seemed like a good time to implement it. He's decided to work with Sarah, my person-who-knows-all in the HR department. He draws a hard-line on financial issues but when it comes to people, he has a soft side! He's also caught me a time or two working from home when I'm supposed to be resting. I suddenly get an email from him telling me to get my priorities in order! (i.e. health first, then work)
So, as I was saying, I love that company. Some of the kindest and most generous people work there!!

1 comment:

  1. Love, Love, LOVE that you are blogging. Thank you for sending me the link - I already have an RSS feed and will keep up with everything that you write. And -- I will be praying for you and all your doctors. This will be a journey and I am glad you are documenting it - LOTS of people care!

    ReplyDelete