Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chemo - 2 Down / 4 To Go!

I've gotten a little behind on my blog but I do appreciate all of you who called to get updates on how I am doing!

I had my first chemo on June 6th. Because I have drug allergies I was instructed to take steroids the day before chemo to prevent any negative reaction. The morning of chemo I woke up at 3 a.m. and was ready to take on the world! I had an overwhelming urge to clean the kitchen floor, the mirrors in the bathrooms, and vacuum. Wow! Steroids are amazing! Once I got to chemo my energy turned to nervous anxiety.

I had a nice comfortable recliner to relax in while getting the chemo cocktail. My friend Jessie came along for entertainment AND she gives a great foot massage. The chemo treatment took about 4 hours.

After the first treatment I got terrible heartburn. Every attempt to sleep was met with more heartburn. I've since learned that Zantac and Maalox will calm the heartburn. Following treatment number 2 I was ready for the heartburn and took care of it very quickly. The biggest problem last time was not drinking enough water. About 2-3 days after treatment everything tastes bad including water. I've tried a little lemon or lime juice but I have to be careful with that or the heartburn comes back.

The next chemotherapy is July 21st. I'll work on perfecting my treatment of the side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment