Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wig Shopping Day Was AWESOME!!

Once I moved on from acceptance to action I made plans for a wig shopping day with my friend Sarah. Sarah is a pretty up-beat person and she had been pushing me for this wig shopping day. Finally in my best defeatist tone of voice I agreed to go.

The plan was to meet at her house then we would go to a place called "The Brighter Side". She had made me an appointment to meet with someone for a private fitting. The Brighter Side is in Solana Beach and specializes is all types of breast cancer survivor apparel, wigs, makeup, you name it! It was the perfect place for me.

To back up a minute, when I went to Sarah's house she presented me with this huge gift basket. She had emailed people at work asking for donations to put together a gift basket for me before I started chemo. Did I mention how awesome Sarah is? Well, the donations started coming in and coming in as you would expect from the wonderful people I work with at Peregrine. The gift basket included all of my favorite bath products, special lotions and cleanser that are helpful when your skin dries from chemo and radiation. The softest blanket I've ever felt, magazines, soft booties, and a little pink beanie that I will need to keep my head warm at night after I lose my hair. There were also some gift cards. I've been told that some of the possible burning sensations during chemo can be averted with ice of better yet Jamba Juice. There were two Jamba Juice gifts cards included. The most unbelievable part of this were the three $500 American Express gift cards! My co-workers wanted to pay for my hair!! These are the best people ever. They knew how I was dreading the hair loss that comes with chemo. So, when we went off to do our wig shopping the only problem I had was holding back the tears from the generosity of the wonderful people I work with!

P.S. I ended up buying two wigs and some head scarves. No, I didn't buy a blonde, red, long, or pink wig as were suggested to me. I stayed with a more conservative look!

1 comment: