Thursday, May 5, 2011

Back to surgery.

My home care nurse came for a visit on Saturday of last week and noticed some swelling on the lower left-side of the left breast. In case you are keeping track, this was the non-malignant side. I saw the doctor on Monday and he put me back on antibiotics. I had a regular appointment scheduled for Wednesday. When I saw him on Wednesday the swelling and redness had not gone down and the upper side looked bruised as if there was some internal bleeding. So, today I'm going back in for surgery to relieve the swelling and clean up any internal bleeding.

The right breast (malignant side) looked very purple and dark along the incision line. I was told this was because there was very little tissue left under the skin because they take as much as they can to make sure they got all of the cancer and good clean margins. Some of that area isn't adhering so they are going to clean up some of that dead skin during surgery to relieve the swelling on the left side.

It should be a relatively short surgery but it's still a surgery with general anesthesia. I'm a little disappointed but I think once this is done I will heal up much faster.

I'm going in this afternoon for surgery at 3:30 p.m. I'm really grateful that my sister-in-law Marsha is here yet this week to run me to all of these doctor appointments and now the hospital.

I'll provide more updates after surgery.

1 comment:

  1. Ah - so bummed to hear you have to go back in for surgery. You are a trooper! Hang in there....I will be thinking about you today and saying a special prayer this afternoon for you and the doctors.

    ReplyDelete