Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Another step closer to chemo.

I had the port put in yesterday for chemo. The surgeon freaked me out a little before surgery. Since the drainage hole on the left side is still draining and the breast is somewhat red, he is concerned about infection. If there is infection it could go directly to the port in which case it needs to come out immediately.

I took this information and immediately started worrying about it when I got home. I was checking it in the mirror every couple of hours. I woke up twice during the night to take pain pills and had to turn on a light so I could see if it was red! Maybe I'm a little overly cautious but hey, I have never been through this before.

Today it looks fine, just a little bruised and sore.

Once again it's been great having awesome friends! After temporarily stopping the meal service my co-workers had established (at my request) they started again on Friday. I have more food in my refrigerator that I won't need to cook anything the rest of the week! Not only that but for yesterday's surgery I had to be at the hospital at 5:45 a.m. for a 7:30 a.m. surgery. My dear friend Sarah who I can always count on, arrived at my house about 5:20 and drove me to the hospital. She had to be at work that morning by 8:30 so another long-time friend, Linda, did the hand off at the hospital and stayed until I was ready to come home.

Linda and I also work together and I know that much of her work can be done from home. She spent the rest of the day AND NIGHT with me to make sure all was well. The hospital required that someone be with me for the first 24 hours. Linda was working away in my little home office while I napped, etc. Shadow also knows and likes Linda because she gives her treats and takes her for walks so we were all happy that Linda was here! Gosh I have a LOT of good friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment