Monday, January 30, 2012

Moving on to Reconstruction

On Friday, January 27th I had surgery again to put in a new tissue expander. The last two attempts haven't been successful. Both times resulted in infection which meant the expander had to come out again. It was really disappointing last time. I really felt like I was moving ahead only to take a big step back. Well, I'm optimistic once again! My plastic surgeon has a game plan in place. Last time when I went in for my follow up visit, everything looked good so they injected saline into the expander to start expanding the tissue. That night the tissue looked quite swollen. I pressed on it and blood came out from the incision site. I called the doctor the next day. Since there was no other redness or pain and the bleeding stopped, he decided it would be alright. A few days later I developed the infection. He thinks now the infection was probably caused by the pooled blood.

So, this time, when I go back for a follow up, he's going to inject a very small amount of saline to slowly expand the tissue. I think this is a good plan. I'm not in a hurry to get the reconstruction done and would rather go slowly in getting it done rather than run into infection again.

So far so good. I'm doing well plan to go back to work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment