Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Today's my last chemo!!

I was up early today - 4 a.m. - as I often am the day of chemo but this day is special - it's my last chemo treatment!! You would think it was Christmas morning! I see today as being one step closer to having all of this behind me. I want to get back to what will be my new normal. I want my energy back.

They say cancer changes you life. I think that's true. For me it's changing my life for the better. I have better clarity into my future and what I want to do with my life. They always say "there's no time like the present". That saying becomes a lot more meaningful post-cancer. My family has always been important to me but they are even more important now. Their unwaivering support and always being just a phone call away can't be measured.

Today and tomorrow are supposed to be rainy in San Diego so it will be a good time for me to go through my normal chemo side-effects: sleep, watch Lifetime movies; sleep some more; get caught up on Grey's Anatomy; and of course, sleep some more. This time will be different though because it's the last time I'll have to go through it!

The next set - get the port removed from my chest. Get a new tissue expander put in to continue on the reconstruction path. Meet with the radiation oncologist to get set up to start radiation. Radiation should start in early November. I've heard it can make you tired but it's nothing like chemo. I'm really hoping to get all of the treatment out of the way by Christmas. It will make for a great New Year's Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment